Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Fiction and Fantasy

Imagination is a truly a wonderful gift from God. Contrary to the beliefs of a realist, fictional literature is quite useful. The point of fantasy is not only entertainment, but also the training of your mind for situations—learning lessons through the lives of people who do not exist. Naturally we cannot write anything that does not contain some amount of truth, no matter how twisted; therefore, even fiction is based largely on the truth of what actually exists.
For the reason above the Church “approved” and promoted fictional writing, in the past and even now, as an effective tool of discipleship because of the positive role models that could come ex nihilio (out of nothing) to help us live more like Christ. It is the abuse of this gift that causes Christians to look down upon fictional books, and this abuse quite possibly led to the belief that fiction is just another way to lie.
In response to the attitude that can be represented, “Anything fictional, being not entirely factual, is unprofitable,” I say: “You truly do not understand many things about reality because you refuse to experience the unreal.” The benefit depends greatly on the content of the work; but if the author has not abused his ability, and has done a moral and up-standing job, the possibilities are endless. Why? Because all things are possible with God: to comprehend the “impossible” is to have imagination. God is an unrealistic and incomprehensible reality. He’s supernatural; don’t put him in a box labeled “natural reality”.

-Jonathan-<><

5 comments:

WATERFALL DESCENDER said...

Wow, great post there. I really enjoyed reading that. To me it's the message of the work that gives glory to the Lord. What is so funny that most of stories in the Bible contain hideous themes...i.e. Incest, Murder, Deception...but those stories always end up with redemption, love, hope, and understanding...the whispers of the Lord. I think we should look at what the work is saying rather than the detalied content, because we are truly missing out on a story that may be missing from our own lives...Under many Christians idea of what is acceptable...the majority of the Bible would be unacceptable based on the content alone...speaking hypothetically of course...

Sorry for the rant, could be wrong...I've been known to be from time to time.

Take care.
In Christ,
Gregg

Jamie Renea said...

Wow you have a blog! That's exciting. :-) I have about 50 blogs, which I intend to crosspost from my xanga to, but I don't. :-) Hehe.
Anyway, as for your post... I loved it - I agree with you obviously, but it was well-argued and well-written. :-)

Jamie Renea said...

Ok, So I *swear* I left you a comment like a week ago. But it's totally not here. So I dunno. Oh well.

I don't even remember what the former comment said. :-(

Um anyway - obviously I have a blog here, and obviously I don't write in it often. But if you do happen to be interested in reading my bloggingness - my Xanga is where it's happenin - Cause that's how I roll --- http://xanga.com/babygirlbanister

The Pookie said...

Cool blog... :) How cometh the Worldview recovery? I had planned on sleeping all day today (Saturday) but I had to mow the lawn..... bother. come leave me a comment sometime.. I love comments :)

Brooke (the gal with the hair :)

P.S. does your sister have a blog?

-Jonathan-<> said...

No, she doesn't have a blog.

My personal blog is in the links of this one...try it out!